Friday, May 4, 2007

News For The Week Of May 4th

Another week, another post. On time, once again.

  • Advergaming powers activate! Shape of an H&M shill! I totally don't get this in it's entirety... Never really dug the Sims too much, so maybe it's just over the top of my head here, but shouldn't advergaming still be making gaming... uh, cheaper? Where's the goodwill for the people who you might want to soon sell your affordably priced fashionable clothes to? Or are gamers not included in that demographic?
  • Now I've said in the past that Consumer Affairs is basically worthless. They have a tendency to write to the lowest common denominator which always leaves me feeling like someone is talking to me like a rather dull sheep. Fairly often I'll read something there and it's kind of like they don't actually have someone checking things for grammar or flow before they are posted. Some of the stuff they have is good info, do not get me wrong, but this article on video games is not some of that stuff. Take every gamer stereotype and have some drunken travel hippy (you think I kid...) rehash it for you in a semi-cohesive manner and there you go. Have these people ever actually tried to immerse themselves into gamer culture before writing an article? What's that? No? Curious.
  • Oh my god. Seriously? Srsly? It's not like this kid said "OMG VATECH SHOOTZES WAS SO AWZOMNLFDSKL!!!1" and built the map. This had to take time to do, the kid was proud of his work... He just had really bad timing. And a hammer is a deadly weapon? what the hell? There is so much wrong with this whole thing I don't know where to start. Which also reminds me, why didn't they arrest the other kids in the school who played the map? They were doing some terroristic training, you know?
  • WoWcard? WoVisa? Are you kidding me, a World of Warcraft Visa card? I want to dismiss this out of hand, but you know... No annual fee, a fairly reasonable APR after a 12 month 0% rate and a full penny on the dollar (one 'reward point' per dollar spent... almost like xp!) goes to buying you more months of WoW. A WoW player with half-assed financial skills could be playing for free indefinitely just based on monthly purchases. Or every time you buy another 2000 gold, it's like Bliz encourages that and gives you a free month's worth of play for it. Huzzah!
There will be more. There's always more.

No comments: