Monday, October 13, 2008

LittleBigPlanet Online Beta (PS3) Impressions

I'll be honest: I didn't think LittleBigPlanet was a game. I thought it was more of a tool, and would only be fun if you're the type of person who enjoys spending hour after hour modding games. Just call me Mr. Wrong.

LittleBigPlanet certainly has those tools to offer, if that's your thing. But it's also a solid platformer, has single player and multiplayer (local, online, or a mix of the two) modes, and offers almost unlimited replay because all user-created content is available at your fingertips.

In my short time with the game (I got my beta key on Wednesday, didn't get a chance to play it until Thursday, and the server shut down the following Sunday), I played through the introductory levels that teach the player how to play the game and create their own content, and checked out as many user-created levels as I could. There are levels inspired by just about every game, movie, TV show, and other intellectual property you could imagine: Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, Super Mario, Mega Man, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Simpsons, Batman, etc. There are also completely original levels. Quality varies, of course, but there are some real gems. It never ceases to amaze me how many talented and creative people are out there.

I'm looking forward to LittleBigPlanet's retail release if only to see what sorts of things people can do who didn't get into the private beta. Stay tuned to Kitsune Games for a full review of LBP!

No comments: